The mission of Chester Water Authority is to provide quality water to all of our customers, when they need it, at a reasonable cost.
Our water meets or exceeds all the criteria established by the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PA DEP), the United States Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA), and the American Water Works Association (AWWA).
We not only satisfy the water needs of our current customers, but we anticipate and plan for the needs of future customers through orderly growth. We charge the lowest practical rates to cover operation and maintenance costs, capital requirements, and bond obligations.
The Benefit to Our Customers
Chester Water Authority’s sole purpose is to provide excellent-quality water to over 200,000 people, businesses, and industry. As a municipal authority, CWA does not have stockholders who require dividends. That means our rates are – and can remain – lower than those of private utility companies.
Equally important, CWA has a higher percentage of funds to direct into the infrastructure to make capital improvements such as storage tanks, rehabilitating and repairing existing mains and lines, and reinforcing the distribution system.
CWA, as your regional water authority, sets goals that are dedicated to meeting the needs of the communities we serve in Delaware and Chester Counties. Being totally integrated into the region, we transcend county boundaries. Through capital projects and proactive maintenance, CWA invests in our water treatment and distribution infrastructure to deliver quality, service, and value to the community. CWA is part of your community. We are your neighbors and friends.
The origin of the Chester Water Authority dates all the way back to 1866 when an act of Assembly allowed the City of Chester to build a waterworks if the majority of property owners voted in favor of the act. The South Ward of the City was first to adopt the act and construction subsequently started on the South Ward Waterworks. On the evening of July 1, 1868, water from the Delaware River was pumped for the first time into a 1.5 million gallon reservoir located on Concord Road at Pusey Street in the City of Chester. The original pumping capacity was 800,000 gallons per day which provided water to 67 customers and the plant was located at the foot of Franklin Street on the banks of the Delaware River.
As a result of growing industrial and residential demand, the South Ward Waterworks was sold to the New Chester Water Company in 1885, which was an investor-owned utility. What followed was a period of tremendous growth and expansion with a customer base of 8,875 as the demand for water increased to 3.4 million gallons per day by 1911. In 1927, significant structural changes were made to the company and a new board changed the company’s name to the Chester Water Service Company. Company meetings were moved to Harrisburg and the principal office was subsequently moved to Wilkes-Barre for purposes of board meetings and similar business. Unfortunately, with continued growth and the ongoing deterioration of the water quality of the Delaware River, odor and taste complaints led for calls to find an alternative source of raw water. In 1939, the Chester Municipal Authority was created and it purchased all of the assets of the Chester Water Service Company which included the waterworks itself, 141 miles of water mains and 597 fire hydrants.
The next several decades would witness a significant level of capital expansion including additions to the Octoraro plant to increase the treatment capacity to 45 MGD and improve the taste and odor of the treated water during periods of poor raw water quality. Customer growth in western Delaware County and southern Chester County also required the construction of new facilities including multiple booster stations and storage facilities that would accommodate this increase in demand and growth. An aggressive capital improvement program and a constant commitment to investment in the infrastructure of the Chester Water Authority has resulted in the treatment and delivery of fresh, reliable water via 656 miles of distribution pipeline to over 42,000 customers that serves a population of approximately 200,000 persons. Today, CWA’s storage facilities can hold up to 106 million gallons of treated water, which is approximately three days average supply. CWA has come a long way since its origins in 1866 and its original base of 67 customers that required only 800,000 gallons per day.
P.O. Box 467
Chester, PA 19016
Bill Pay Address
Chester Water Authority
P. O. Box 71346
Philadelphia, PA 19176-1346
Chester Office Address
415 Welsh Street
Chester, PA 19013
Kennett Square Office Address
148 West State Street, Suite 101
Kennett Square, PA 19348